Three different Gibson SGs, which is the best?
Kalevi Kolttonen
2023-06-18 16:41:50 UTC
Hello!

I have three different Gibson SGs. They are:

1) 1968 SG with P90s
2) 1973 SG with mini humbuckers
3) 1976 SG with standard humbuckers

Now which of them is the best?

To be honest, that question is pretty meaningless
to me. All three sound unique in their own way
and I do not have any preference.

With guitars like these, you simply cannot go wrong
if you are after that vintage tone. Clean or
overdriven, it all works great.

On the other hand, if you play some kind of
extreme metal, then I guess your guitar choice
should be something modern with high output
humbuckers.

br,
KK
Kalevi Kolttonen
2023-06-18 17:54:07 UTC
Post by Kalevi Kolttonen
1) 1968 SG with P90s
2) 1973 SG with mini humbuckers
3) 1976 SG with standard humbuckers
To clarify, even though one could consider these
guitars as vintage, or at least rather old, it
is not important. The new guitars such as reissues
are generally speaking just as great.

In my opinion the only advantage of the old guitars
is that their wood material has pretty much
settled, i.e. you can be sure that the neck will
not shrink or anything like that.

br,
KK
Incubus
2023-06-19 08:50:50 UTC
Post by Kalevi Kolttonen
Post by Kalevi Kolttonen
1) 1968 SG with P90s
2) 1973 SG with mini humbuckers
3) 1976 SG with standard humbuckers
To clarify, even though one could consider these
guitars as vintage, or at least rather old, it
is not important. The new guitars such as reissues
are generally speaking just as great.
In my opinion the only advantage of the old guitars
is that their wood material has pretty much
settled, i.e. you can be sure that the neck will
not shrink or anything like that.
Old guitars have investment value. I much prefer Fender guitars made in
Japan or Mexico. Single-coil size humbuckers for me.